Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Prepared for a Hijack?
Written by
Michael A. Gohn

How does anyone prepare for a hijack? Is it possible? Being totally prepared to be a passenger on a plane that will be eventually hijacked is impossible. To be an airline company and be totally prepared for your planes to be hijacked is impossible. To be the government and to always be prepared for any hijack is impossible, especially with the number of domestic and international flights that fly daily over our boarders. In my opinion, it is impossible to be totally prepared to be involved with a hijacked plane.

When I speak of being prepared for a hijack, granted that could mean different things. Being prepared could mean being prepared in the event of an actual hijack. This carries the presupposition that hijacks are unpreventable and will happen from time to time. Being prepared could also mean prevention. In both cases, I believe that no matter what measures one takes, hijacks will never be prevented nor can one ever be fully prepared in the event of an eventual hijack.

Due to the recent tragedy of four hijacked airplanes that crashed into the WTC, the Pentagon, and in Pennsylvania, new security measures will be taken. Some of which will include no curbside check-in, no one but ticketed passengers allowed past the metal detectors in the terminals, no knives, no carry-ons, etc. I am not trying to be political, and I do think some changes need to be made, but I doubt very much if these changes would have prevented these disasters. The purpose of this article is not to discuss what changes in security need to occur. Rather it is to discuss being prepared for the changing climate in America.

Tuesday, September 11, 2001, many people routinely went to work, or hopped on a plane. Whatever they were doing was for the most part routine. Sadly, many died because of the hatred that some have toward Americans. My question is: could they have been prepared for this death? We are so free and so secure in America that we don’t think death will ever interrupt our lives. Of course, when we are old or sick death could touch us. But few of us ever think death could touch us in the routine of daily life. All this will change. It already has changed in New York and Washington DC. But do we who live in small town America; do we who live in “non-strategic” places really believe it could happen to us? Are we as people who live in America prepared for death? Terrorism can happen anytime anywhere. This is our new world. Need I remind you that Islamic and Arabic people live in every town in America? I am not trying to be racist or prejudice. I am not advocating attacking our innocent neighbors. What I am saying is that our country is infiltrated with terrorists. Whether it is American Timothy McVeighs or Muslim extremists, our country is already invaded by terrorists. (Now to make a political statement: The security changes need to occur at our boarders first. There I said it. Now, back to the article.) Like it our not, terror could strike your life anytime anywhere.

This leads me back to my original question. Are you prepared for a hijack? Or a drive by shooting? Or a car bomb? Or any other act of terrorism that could introduce death into your life? The question really has to do with death. Are you prepared for death? Are you prepared to have the routine of your day interrupted by death? Are you prepared to meet your Maker anytime anywhere?

You see no one knows the hour or the day when life will end in death. No one knows when God will see fit to say, “No More!” and your life will be over. It is easier for someone who knows he or she is dying to get things right with God. But for the rest of us who think death is so far away, it is more difficult. The need is not there. I hope every American realizes as of this past Tuesday September 11, 2001, that death can be right around the corner for anyone. The question is are you prepared?

Jesus said, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me will live even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?” (John 11:25-26)

According to the Son of God, Jesus, anyone who believes in Him will live even though the routine of life is interrupted by death. He says further that if anyone lives and believes in Him, he or she will never die. He ends this statement with the question: Do you believe this? Well, do you? If you die, will you live again?

According to Jesus, He is the only means of life after death. He is the only one to whom we must turn for the security of truly living even though death strikes. How is this possible? Life after death? Through Jesus? How is this possible? Good question!

Even though Jesus lived a perfect life, a life that perfectly pleased God, the people of His day killed Him by nailing Him to a cross. His death pays the penalty for the wrong things we do. Three days after His death, God raised Jesus from the dead and He is alive forever. His new life means that you can have a new life here and now, and you can have security for the next life. Because Jesus lives, you too can live when death interrupts your life. I ask you to please consider the claims of Jesus found in the New Testament. He has conquered death so you will not have to be surprised or defeated by it.

I can tell you that I am prepared for a hijack or any other act of terrorism. Why? Because, I am prepared for death. How? I surrendered my life to Jesus and asked Him not only to forgive my offenses against God, but also to be the boss of my life. In doing this, I have passed from death to life. Praise Him!

It is kind of like this: I would much rather be hit by the shadow of the plane that hit the WTC than by the plane itself. In turning your life over to Jesus, death is like being hit by the shadow of the plane. When the shadow is gone, there is light. There is no pain from the shadow. However, a life a part from Jesus that is interrupted by death is like getting hit by the plane itself. You are trapped under a mountain of demolished concrete and steel beams. There is nothing but darkness and pain.


Prepare yourself for a hijack. Turn your life over to Jesus. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment